Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Bit of a Scare!

I'm starting this blog off with a picture of my beautiful, healthy little girl. This was taken a month or so ago and I just wanted to to see this picture before I tell the story. And just is case you are all of the sudden worried...don't be. She is still super healthy, we just had a bit of a bump in the road yesterday.

I would say that I have been very, very blessed when it comes to the heath of my family. We have had a couple rounds of stitches like here and here , numerous fat lips and I guess we can't forget this one either. But none of those have been as scary for me as what happened yesterday. When we put Sarah to bed on Monday night she has a bit of a cough and a slight fever but she's a kid and from my experience, kid's get sick. So I gave her some Tylenol and put her to bed. When she woke up on Tuesday morning she climbed into bed with me and I noticed that she was hot again (not super hot, just a bit warmer then normal) and that she was breathing real fast. I showed Ben and we talked about it a bit and decided that I would call her Doctor and talk to them about it. The nurse said that I could bring her in if I felt like I should but that I could also just keep an eye on her. By about noon we figured that it would be a good idea to take her in and have her listened to. I am SOOOO glad that we did! The doctor listened to her and said that there was no air flow in her left lung......WHAT?!?!? That meant that she either had RSV or Pneumonia. My heart started beating a million miles a minute at that news. So, they did a breathing treatment for her right there in the office and when he listened to her again she had about 75% of it back. He said that it was RSV (which I've read is not real common in kids her age, usually hits younger kids), and sent us home with lots of meds, a nebulizer, all kinds of instructions, an appointment for the next morning and his permission to call him in the night at home if we had any questions. I have to say that I've never walked out of a doctors office with so many things in my hands!! Our night ended up being pretty good. There was one point in the middle of the night that I had a bit of a break down and just wasn't sure what to do and I also felt very helpless. I knew, or thought I had a pretty good idea of what to watch for but I still totally doubted whether she was ok. Our morning started at 7:30 and she was so much better than when she went to bed....I guess the two treatments that I did while she was sleeping helped. She was pretty much back to her normal self with a little faster breathing. Here are a few pictures that we took last night while we were using the nebulizer..... I am very close to having tears looking at these pictures. I know that it could have been much worse and I could have had to take her into the hospital but I've never really been this close to something that serious. When I took her to the doctor this morning he said that she was breathing 100% better then when he saw her yesterday and if all goes well the rest of the week we shouldn't have to see him again. We are now proud owners of a nebulizer because he wants us to keep it around for the next few months. One other thing that happened with this whole is that she has become asthmatic. It may be a one time deal or she may have to deal with it every time she gets sick for awhile. Good news is, it's only going to last until she's 6 or 7 (if it even comes back) and he has never seen it turn into adult asthma. There it is, in a nutshell. We totally know that God has his hands in the whole thing, starting with the warning signs that we saw, to the way she responded to all the treatments. He is a great God that takes care of His babies when I couldn’t do it myself. Thank you all for your prayers…..and if you don’t believe me that she is feeling better, here’s a few last pictures that I took just tonight right after dinner. She is back to her normal crazy self….. Lord, thank you for keeping my baby safe.

7 comments:

Becky Avella said...

When we were at church tonight, the pastor was taking prayer requests and Amy asked everyone to pray for her cousin Sarah. It was so sweet. I couldn't believe Amy was brave enough to speak up in front of all those adults, but she was really worried. I can't wait to tell her that Sarah is all better. Thank you, Lord!

Emma said...

Very scary! So glad everything is alright. Those kinds of things can really freak a person out. Especially when it's your baby. We'll keep her in our prayers! Very happy she's a strong healthy little girl :)

The Jernigan Family said...

That is one of my biggest fears...knock on wood that Sage has never had a cold, but when she does I know I will have a breakdown. I think I am a little use to scarey stuff with her being in the NICU with wires and monitors and beeping etc. But still nothing compares to when your kid is hurt, it is like your heart walking outside of your body...I ALWAYS think of the penny xray you posted on here and freak when she is around money. Jeramy had to give Sage the hymlic on Christmas (but I think he is super sensitive to coughing)I am glad that both of you are doing better. If you are going to own a nebulizer, at least it is a cute on with a little ducky on it! Love ya!

Sally Jo said...

I still get tears just reading about this, even though I knew about it before. Praise God you took her in. Grandma

Sally Jo said...

I just have to comment again about those last two pictures. She looks so much more grown up just since I was there last weekend. And the first picture looks sooo much like her mommy. Grandma

Kinslee said...

We had to use a nebulizer before with Noah although he was much younger and not nearly as sick but it is very scary. I am glad that she is almost back to normal....God is good. By the way she is too adorable.

Katy said...

So scary! Makes you want to hold onto her a little tighter doesn't it! Praise the Lord that she is okay!