Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Trauma at our house....

So I failed to fill you in on our trauma experience about 3 weeks ago. I know, I know....bad blogger. How could I fail you :)


In the 6 years that we've had kids we had our first stitches. Yes, our poor Luke was the victim. I should have made the bet that he would be the one, he's always the one. It all happened because Zac was being the Incredible Hulk. I wasn't aware of this but I guess the Incredible Hulk throws things?? Who knew?? Zac, in his attempt to be the bestest, strongest, most incredible Incredible Hulk threw something from the top of the stairs to the bottom and then, you guessed it, Luke's head was the landing. He was a trooper our Luke. We found the closet Urgent Care (right across from Ben's work) and told them there that they would probably get to know the Abshires well in the next 10 years or so. He ended up needing 2 stitches and was a very brave kid. I was proud of him and the way he had to sit still with the paper thing on the back of his head. The stitches are out now and that trauma is all over....


and then last night happened......I thought we would be making another trip to the Urgent Care or actually is was late enough that it would have been the ER. We didn't end up having to go, it looked worse then it really was. As is a family tradition, the boys were wrestling with their daddy and it can to a crashing halt with Jacob biting his lip. It looked really bad but once the bleeding stopped it wasn't so bad. As you can tell, he's got quit a fat lip though. Good thing school doesn't start for a week, it should be back to normal by then.

At least he's still smiling.....

I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone to nursing school before having kids. At least they will have an aunt that's a nurse before long and there are a couple of doctors in the family. That always helps.



6 comments:

Josh R said...

Wow, I can't believe it is your first trip to the stitches factory. With 3 boys, I can't imagine it will be the last..

Anonymous said...

They're going to be tough! I miss you all. Mom

Daiquiri said...

Oh, poor little guy! Our first stitches were more traumatic for me than for Benjamin (the victim). When he was 2 and Clara was 1 I left them alone for a few minutes to run and brush my teeth (I know...so irresponsible;) ). The next thing I knew, Ben was walking in the bathroom...and he was covered in blood. It was horrifying. Ben had knocked down a picture frame, and the glass shattered. I grabbed Ben, and went running into the living room to find Clara...dreading what I'd find. I picked her up from the pile of glass, looked her over and found not a scratch. Plopped her in the high chair to keep her safe, and then took a closer look at Ben (who was looking at me very calmly without a single tear, that's why I thought it was Clara...she was crying from the noise of it breaking). Ben was fine, except for a giant gash right across the area above his heel, right over his achilles. I picked him up, and it took me about a half second to see that he'd need stitches. Sure enough. Can't remember how many, but we were getting him stitched up for hours. The doc did 2 layers of stitches because it was super deep. Thank God it didn't injure the tendon!

Holy novel, Daiquiri. Shut up already!

:)

PS. Looking forward to meeting you guys in person too!

Katy said...

Crazy crazy. We have avoided the ER this far, and hope to continue! Many close calls, but no stitches or broken bones yet! Knock Knock! LOL Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Emma said...

Ouch! Head injuries are always the worst too.  Looks like he's surviving :). 

The Jernigan Family said...

Oh boy what I have to look forward to...that is what I worry about most, thank goodness I had a girl, they seem not to get hurt as much...ya right.