Monday, October 27, 2008

What Happens When You Swallow a Penny?

You end up going to the emergency room!! This story came up two times this weekend so I thought I would post the picture and tell you the story (in case you hadn't heard).

This is an x-ray of Luke when he was just over a year (like a week over). He decided to see what a penny tasted like and ended up swallowing it. Luckily it went it like it did so he didn't actually choke on it but it did stop him from eating anything. That's how we figured out what had happened. He would eat like three bites and then throw up and he was drooling a ton. So, we took him to the emergency room and they did surgery right away. It was really scary for me, just sitting around waiting for him to get out. It ended up taking them longer then they thought so we waited even longer. The original plan was to go in and pull it out but once they got in there it fell down more so then they just ended up pushing it into his stomach. So we got to "look around" for it to show up for about 2 weeks! Turns out we missed it and had another x-ray to make sure it was gone.

So far we haven't had any more kid surgeries and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's just a matter of time I'm sure. I hope you enjoyed the look into my past.....


The Jernigan Family said...

This is one of my biggest fears...Jeramy won't even let Sage eat cheerios (even though there is a hole and my pediatrition asures him she can't choke on it and even demonstrated for us). Oh my gosh I thought a runny nose was scary! Thanks for sharing

Shiloh said...

How scary! It would be so hard seeing your kid just laying there!
Poor little guy!!!!!